Our platform allows brands the ability to issue commissionable discount codes to creators. We’ve found that it’s been one of the most effective ways to increase engagement with creators and improve conversion.
If you're a new partner on ShopMy, issuing discount codes to your current promoters or fans on the platform, is one of the first things you can do to immediately start building order volume via affiliates.
Please note that you can’t do custom commissionable discount codes if you are integrated with ShopMy through CJ, Rakuten, or Partnerize.
Discount codes are a central tenet to running a successful influencer affiliate program. Offering competitive commission in conjunction with a custom commissionable discount code creates favorable conditions for talent to organically share your products and tap into your program.
Other compelling reasons discount codes should be a part of your brand's strategy include:
- Talent love codes. To a creator, discount codes are often seen as "gift" that they can share with their followers.
- It's a more comprehensive way to track sales. Oftentimes, influencers will share information about products on their Instagram stories, but people go and purchase on desktop. In most cases, these purchases aren't captured. That's where discount codes can help.
- Some creators prefer codes to links. If a creator remembers their code, it's always easy to share whenever they are talking about a product.
- It's a free way to engage with talent. Since creators are pinged when codes are created for them, it's a great way to just put your brand back on their radar and encourage them to organically share.
When you assign a discount code to the creator, you should make sure to include the following information:
- If they are a fan or supporter, make sure to thank them.
- List the code (e.g. TIFFANY20)
- Say what the code gets their followers — such as 20% off or $20 off
- Mention if there are any exclusions or parameters — such as purchases needing to be only a certain dollar amount, or certain products or product types being excluded
- Tell them when the code expires (if it’s not an evergreen, never expiring code)
You should issue discount codes to any talent who has promoted or linked to you (everyone listed in your talent dashboard). Most creators love discount codes, and attaching a discount code to them sends them a personalized notification. You never know who you’ll be able to reengage with a code, so we strongly recommend doing this.
You should also issue discount codes as a follow up to gifting. You can message a creator after it’s been a little bit since they have received their gifting and tell them in case they are inclined to share the product with their audience, you’ve created a custom commissionable discount code for them.
It’ll depend on your brand, but from our experience, 15% off is the lowest percent off that tends to move the needle. Your codes should also be equal or greater than whatever your standard or welcome offer is. For example, if you have a welcome offer that’s 20% off with a code, then the codes need to be at least 20%.
When you assign a discount code to talent, they receive an email notification, the code appears in their discount code dashboard, and they also have the option to display the code on any product they link from your site.
How Do I Issue a Custom Discount Code to Talent?
STEP 1: Attach the code to the creator’s Talent Card
Find the talent you’d like to extend a code to, click on their Talent Card and then “OFFER DISCOUNT CODE” on the left hand side. The following pop-up will appear for you to extend the code:
STEP 2: Once you have extended the code, you’re all set as the code has been created in your Shopify account. If there are any exclusions to the code, you can then edit the code in Shopify for exclusions (no sale items, free shipping only, etc). Please be sure to tell talent in the chat function any exclusions attached to their code.
- Install the Shopify App by following the instructions here. In the meantime, you
STEP 1: First, you need to create the discount code on your POS System (Shopify, WooCommerce, etc.). The code should be associated with the talent name (e.g. if user’s name is Tiffany Smith, the code could be something like TIFFANYS20), and the codes should not expire.
STEP 2: After creating the code in your POS system, go to your ShopMy account and attach the code to the user.
There are two ways you attach the code:
- Find the creator by searching for them in your Talent or Discover tab. Once you find the creator, click on “View Talent Card”. You’ll noticed an option on the left hand side under their bio that says, “OFFER DISCOUNT CODE”. From there, you can fill out the information needed and it will attach to their creator account.
- Alternatively, you can go to the Chat tab, search the talent name. If you have chatted with them in the past, there is a “Discount Code” button in the bar at the top. If it’s a new conversation, tap the “offer discount code” button.
Please see below for some example messages with assigning custom discount codes.
Discount Code to Fan of the Brand
Hi Tiffany! Thanks so much for your support of our brand. I went ahead and made you a custom commissionable discount code, TIFFANY20, that’s good for 20% off a purchase on our site. The code is set to expire at the end of the year (December 31, 2022), but of course we are happy to extend it when the time comes. The only thing excluded from the code is our value sets. Let me know if you have any questions at all. Thanks so much!
Discount Code as Gifting Follow Up
Hi Tiffany! I just wanted to check in and make sure you received your goodies. I also wanted to let you know that in case you are interested in sharing any of the products with your audience, I issued you a custom commissionable discount code TIFFANY20, that’s good for 20% off a purchase on our site. The code is set to expire at the end of the year (December 31, 2022), but of course we are happy to extend it when the time comes. The only thing excluded from the code is our value sets. Let me know if you have any questions at all about the products or anything else. Thanks so much!
Delete Discount Codes
You’ll notice there is no option to delete a discount code readily available in your ShopMy account. To delete a code for a creator, click into their discount code and fill out the code name and discount with 0 and 0%. This will then remove the code for the creator
Discount Code FAQ’s
Click on the hamburger icon in the top right corner of your account and click on “Custom Codes”. It will look like the image below:
- Synced with Shopify - this means that the code is set up properly and if you update the code in ShopMy, it will update in Shopify.
- Active - this means the code is “Active” in a creator’s account and the creator believes they have a commissionable discount code with your brand. Please check your POS system’s code to ensure it is redeemable on your site. If it is active in your POS system then the creator will receive credit for any purchases using the code.
Hint: If you have the Shopify App, all codes should be “Synced with Shopify”. If you do not have the Shopify App implemented or a different POS system, it will say “Active”. and you must update the code in your POS system to match.
On thi page